Check out the results from the third practice session in Barcelona, which saw compromised running due to rain hitting the track.
Max Verstappen has set the pace in the final practice session at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya, putting in a time in the dry conditions early on before rain slowed the pace.
The Dutch driver improved upon his Friday best to put in a 1:13.6 on the soft tyre compound, leaving him quarter of a second clear of Red Bull teammate Sergio Perez at the chequered flag.
The session got underway with a flurry of activity as rain and lightning loomed over the circuit, which was red-flagged at the quarter-session mark as a result of Logan Sargeant crashing his Williams at the final corner.
The American driver was uninjured and scampered clear of the car as it was recovered, with the session resuming in green flag conditions as rain spat down on the circuit.
It resulted in most of the drivers coming out on the intermediate tyres to thread their way around and figure out the grip levels, with the rain remaining at a level that just about necessitated the intermediate tyres.
With the Red Bulls leading Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton, Carlos Sainz was in fourth for Ferrari ahead of home hero Fernando Alonso in his Aston Martin.
With less than 10 minutes to go, Lando Norris went for the brave decision of trying out the soft tyre to see whether the conditions allowed it. His laptime was enough to show the track was just in between wet and dry conditions, with Alpine’s Pierre Gasly and Aston Martin’s Lance Stroll both showing how tricky the conditions were as they ran wide through the gravel in the second sector.
With Norris proving the conditions were just about manageable, the majority of the field switched back to the softs for the final five minutes, but none found extra laptime to eclipse their early session pace.
2023 Spanish Grand Prix Third Practice (FP3) Results:
- 1. Max Verstappen Red Bull 1:13.664
- 2. Sergio Perez Red Bull +0.250
- 3. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.408
- 4. Carlos Sainz Ferrari +0.576
- 5. Fernando Alonso Aston Martin +0.600
- 6. George Russell Mercedes +0.614
- 7. Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.689
- 8. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +0.696
- 9. Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +0.995
- 10. Lando Norris McLaren +1.017
- 11. Guanyu Zhou Alfa Romeo +1.017
- 12. Nyck De Vries AlphaTauri +1.029
- 13. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +1.092
- 14. Nico Hulkenberg Haas +1.324
- 15. Oscar Piastri McLaren +1.441
- 16. Esteban Ocon Alpine +1.602
- 17. Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.870
- 18. Pierre Gasly Alpine +2.177
- 19. Alex Albon Williams +2.187
- 20. Logan Sargeant Williams +2.865