Lewis Hamilton calls for ‘AI’ solution as Sebastian Vettel weighs up 2024 seat – F1 news round-up

Henry Valantine
Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton. F1 news.

A split image of Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton.

The fallout from the Japanese Grand Prix dominates Monday’s F1 news headlines, with plenty more besides to digest following the Suzuka weekend.

Max Verstappen dominated on track on Sunday, but plenty more happened away from the circuit and more F1 news broke on Monday to bring you.

With that, let’s dive into Monday’s F1 news.

Sebastian Vettel mulling over ‘concrete offer’ for 2024 WEC drive

Sebastian Vettel has been offered a drive in Hypercars next season, with British team Jota – according to a report from German outlet Auto Motor und Sport.

Vettel himself commented on the speculation, saying nothing has yet been decided about a return to the track.

“Nothing has been signed or decided yet,” Vettel told AMuS.

“But I have the matter in the back of my mind. I still have time to decide.

“If at some point I come to the conclusion that it doesn’t work without racing, then I will drive again.”

Read more: Sebastian Vettel considering ‘concrete’ offer for 2024 racing return – report

‘Strange’ call makes Lewis Hamilton ask for ‘AI’ solution

After the drama surrounding Max Verstappen’s lack of grid penalty for impeding in Singapore, for which the FIA admitted they administered the wrong punishment, Lewis Hamilton believes artificial intelligence, or AI, should be used for decision-making instead of the stewards.

“That rule has been the same for ages, you know? I think we need to start looking into AI for this sort of thing, so we get good decisions,” Hamilton said when asked about the decision and the FIA’s later clarification.

“I would like to see whether AI could do a better job or not.”

Read more: Lewis Hamilton calls for ‘AI’ intervention in the wake of ‘strange’ Max Verstappen call

Sergio Perez deemed in ‘second big spiral’ of 2023 season

Le Mans winner Richard Bradley believes Sergio Perez is in his “second big spiral” of the season after his difficult Japanese Grand Prix weekend.

While his pace has picked up in recent races, multiple instances of contact at Suzuka caused an early retirement on Sunday and helped Max Verstappen get onto the brink of a third consecutive Drivers’ title.

“I mean, Perez looks like he’s entering that downward spiral that he was in earlier in the season, except now it’s coming in the form of collisions,” Bradley told the newest episode of the On Track GP Podcast.

“When you look at what Max was able to do, it looks like he’s just become completely devoid of confidence again and, okay, the question goes if Perez finishes second in the Drivers’ Championship, that’s exactly what you want your two drivers to do. But how long can he stay there when he’s clearly underperforming in such a way?

“Don’t get me wrong, we all understand that Max is generational. There’s no question about that. But it’s too far behind now.

Read more: Pundit claims Sergio Perez in ‘second big downward spiral’ of 2023 after recent woes

Spanish commentator apologises after Michael Schumacher comments

Spanish Formula 1 journalist Antonio Lobato has apologised after seemingly jokingly referring to Michael Schumacher’s current physical state on TV on Sunday.

Lobato, who fronts the commentary for Spanish channel DAZN, admitted his comments, which PlanetF1.com has opted to not publish in full but referred to Schumacher’s health after his 2013 skiing accident, were “clumsy”, and he has since apologised.

PlanetF1.com approached DAZN and Telefonica for comment, who supply the broadcast to DAZN, and they pointed to the apology video issued by Lobato and confirmed that he will appear on the programme Vamos sobre Ruedas on the channel Vamos on Tuesday, where he will address and apologise once more for the “unfortunate comment”.

Read more: DAZN pundit under fire for ‘clumsy’ Michael Schumacher joke

Mercedes position swap influenced from a distance at Suzuka

While Toto Wolff was not present at Suzuka after knee surgery (get well soon by the way, Toto!), PlanetF1.com understands the Mercedes team principal and CEO was behind the call to swap Lewis Hamilton and George Russell’s positions towards the end of the Japanese Grand Prix.

Russell was left frustrated at the decision, with Carlos Sainz on the prowl on fresher tyres behind – and later passed the Briton – as Hamilton scampered away.

Read more: Revealed: The hidden influence behind Lewis Hamilton and George Russell’s Suzuka swap