Here are the complete results from the second practice session at Marina Bay ahead of this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix.
Ferrari carried on where they left off in the morning session, by topping the time in the more representative hour under the spotlights. Claiming another 1-2, it was Carlos Sainz who came out on top of the intra-team battle.
Red Bull’s quest to win every race this year looks slightly under threat, with Sergio Perez and Max Verstappen only managing seventh and eighth, respectively.
Cause for concern for Red Bull after difficult second practice
With the evening session being far more representative of the conditions facing the drivers in Sunday’s Grand Prix, Ferrari fans will be feeling cheerful at the end of Friday’s running as the Scuderia’s drivers continued at the top to continue where they had been in first practice.
Leclerc had been quickest in the daytime running, but it was Sainz who came out on top in the darkness as he popped in a 1:32.120 on the soft tyres to pip Leclerc by just 0.018 seconds.
Mercedes were the closest rivals to Ferrari, with George Russell popping into third, a quarter of a second down on the Ferrari duo, while Lewis Hamilton was fifth with a time another two-tenths back – the pair were split by Aston Martin’s Fernando Alonso.
With Lando Norris in sixth, the Red Bulls were seventh and eighth with Sergio Perez getting the better of Max Verstappen by just under half a tenth. Worryingly for the championship leaders, who can wrap up the Constructors’ Championship this weekend, they were seven-tenths down on the leading pace.
Perez’s radio messages hinted at the struggles the Red Bull drivers may be facing, with the Mexican driver complaining that he had no confidence in the RB19 under braking – reporting that the rear of the car was snapping on him.
2023 Singapore Grand Prix Results – Second Practice (FP2)
- 1. Carlos Sainz Ferrari 1:32.120
- 2. Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.018
- 3. George Russell Mercedes +0.235
- 4. Fernando Alonso Aston Martin +0.358
- 5. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.465
- 6. Lando Norris McLaren +0.591
- 7. Sergio Perez Red Bull +0.692
- 8. Max Verstappen Red Bull +0.732
- 9. Kevin Magnussen Haas +0.897
- 10. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +0.985
- 11. Nico Hulkenberg Haas +1.019
- 12. Liam Lawson AlphaTauri +1.165
- 13. Esteban Ocon Alpine +1.241
- 14. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +1.270
- 15. Oscar Piastri McLaren +1.341
- 16. Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +1.357
- 17. Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +1.455
- 18. Pierre Gasly Alpine +1.704
- 19. Logan Sargeant Williams +2.207
- 20. Alex Albon Williams +3.438