Alonso unimpressed with Sainz’s ‘unacceptable’ antics
Missing out on a Q3 berth in Miami, Fernando Alonso says Carlos Sainz cost him some “four tenths” and that his compatriot’s antics were “unacceptable”.
Putting in the laps in the dying seconds of Q2, Alonso, like his rivals, was trying to put in a perfect lap around the Miami circuit only to become the victim of traffic.
Coming up behind the Ferrari of Sainz, he felt that the Spaniard had impeded him through the chicane telling his Alpine pit wall that the “Ferrari destroyed my lap”.
While Alonso missed out on Q3 by 0.032s, Sainz made it through with the double World Champion claiming that “place should be ours”.
The stewards did have a look but decided that no further investigation was required.
Alonso wasn’t impressed.
Fernando Alonso team radio after P11 in the qualification #MiamiGP pic.twitter.com/7QohJ43gPb
— EL 🅿️LAN F1 updates (@turn1chaos) May 7, 2022
“It’s a real shame because a Ferrari was in my way throughout the second sector, which cost me four tenths,” he said as per Motorsport.com.
“I was six tenths better than my previous lap but came out of Turn 16 only one tenth ahead, so I lost four tenths or half a second in traffic.
Team boss Otmar Szafnauer agrees with his driver.
“It was a disappointing qualifying for us because we couldn’t show our true pace. The result doesn’t reflect our actual performance,” he said.
“Fernando would have been at least in the top ten if it weren’t for the traffic.
“I don’t know exactly what Carlos was doing because Fernando was on a fast lap while he was driving slowly on the track.”
Alonso will line up 11th on the grid with his team-mate Esteban Ocon down in 20th place as he was not able to take part in qualifying, his chassis damaged in his FP3 crash.
Alonso reckons a Safety Car or two on Sunday could help him make up positions.
“Overtaking will be difficult, but I expect a few Safety Cars and then there will definitely be opportunities. The feeling in the car was good too and we were always competitive,” he said.
“The track is dissolving, meaning the asphalt on the outside of the corners. Let’s see if we can go wheel to wheel tomorrow because there is only one clean line on the track. Hopefully for next year we will have a tarmac like on the other racetracks.”
Unluckiest F1 driver this season: Fernando Alonso?
Does Fernando Alonso count as being the unluckiest driver this season so far?