FIA to warn Racing Point after Stroll’s positive test

Date published: October 22 2020

Lance Stroll

Racing Point are set to receive a slap on the wrist for their conduct after it emerged Lance Stroll tested positive for Covid-19.

Stroll did not take part in the Eifel Grand Prix weekend after falling ill and was subsequently replaced by Nico Hulkenberg, who had already deputised for Racing Point’s Sergio Perez after he tested positive for the virus ahead of the British Grand Prix.

However, Racing Point initially said that Stroll did not have the symptoms that are related to Covid-19, whilst a doctor told Stroll that a Covid test wasn’t necessary.

But a test conducted on the race day Sunday came back positive for the Canadian driver having returned home to recover in Switzerland.

Stroll made the news public via social media and also confirmed that he has since returned negative results and is able to return to action in Portimao this weekend.

In his story on Instagram, Stroll wrote: “I just want to let everyone know that I recently tested positive for COVID-19 after the Eifel GP weekend. I am feeling 100% and have since tested negative.

“To fill you in on what happened, I arrived at the Nurburgring after testing negative in the normal pre-race tests.

“On Saturday morning I started to feel unwell and woke up with an upset stomach. I followed the FIA protocol and self-isolated in my motorhome and did not re-enter the paddock.

“I wasn’t fit to race so I flew home early Sunday morning. As I was still feeling under the weather I took a Covid test on Sunday evening.

“The next day the results came back positive, so I stayed at home self-isolating for the next 10 days. Luckily, my symptoms were pretty mild.

“I was tested again on Monday this week and my results were negative. I feel in great shape and I can’t wait to be back with the team and to race in Portugal.”In his story on Instagram, Stroll wrote: “I just want to let everyone know that I recently tested positive for COVID-19 after the Eifel GP weekend. I am feeling 100% and have since tested negative.

“To fill you in on what happened, I arrived at the Nurburgring after testing negative in the normal pre-race tests.

“On Saturday morning I started to feel unwell and woke up with an upset stomach. I followed the FIA protocol and self-isolated in my motorhome and did not re-enter the paddock.

“I wasn’t fit to race so I flew home early Sunday morning. As I was still feeling under the weather I took a Covid test on Sunday evening.

“The next day the results came back positive, so I stayed at home self-isolating for the next 10 days. Luckily, my symptoms were pretty mild.

“I was tested again on Monday this week and my results were negative. I feel in great shape and I can’t wait to be back with the team and to race in Portugal.”

The FIA’s issue with this particular incident is that they were not made aware of Stroll’s positive test until shortly before the driver himself made it public knowledge.

Within the FIA’s Code of Conduct, it states: ‘Our COVID-19 delegate will also receive updates from the stakeholder if during the covered event or within 14 days at the end of a covered event any circumstances arise (such as a disclosure by the approved test provider relating to you or reports made by you to the applicable stakeholder) that indicate that you may no longer be fit to attend the covered event(s).’

As part of updated measures to be introduced ahead of the Portuguese Grand Prix and beyond, all personnel within the Formula 1 paddock must COVID-19 test within 24 hours of entering the circuit.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1, like our Facebook page and join us on Instagram!