Mercedes have followed up their 1-2 finish in Brazil by topping the times in first practice for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Lewis Hamilton set the quickest time of the first practice session at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi, keeping Mercedes at the top of the results following their first win of the season last time out in Brazil.
Hamilton clocked a 1:26.633 with 20 minutes remaining in the session, pipping his Mercedes team-mate George Russell by almost a quarter of a second.
Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc was third, ahead of Red Bull’s Sergio Perez and Liam Lawson, the Kiwi taking Max Verstappen’s car for the session as Red Bull fulfil their junior driver obligations this weekend.
There were plenty of new and unusual names taking part in the session, with Lando Norris handing over his McLaren to Pato O’Ward, while Felipe Drugovich drove Lance Stroll’s Aston Martin.
Robert Shwartzman drove Carlos Sainz’s Ferrari en route to seventh place, while Logan Sargeant was in at Williams in place of Nicholas Latifi.
Mick Schumacher, in his last weekend as an F1 driver at least for now, sat out FP1 as Pietro Fittipaldi took his car, while Fernando Alonso was another spectator as Jack Doohan drove his Alpine.
At Alfa Romeo, Robert Kubica was at the wheel of Zhou Guanyu’s car, finishing his session in 13th spot.
Read our full report from the first practice session at the 2022 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
FP1 results: 2022 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix First Practice (FP1)
- Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:26.333
- George Russell Mercedes +0.220
- Charles Leclerc Ferrari +0.255
- Sergio Perez Red Bull +0.334
- Liam Lawson Red Bull +0.568
- Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin +0.635
- Robert Shwartzman Ferrari +0.993
- Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +1.022
- Alex Albon Williams +1.207
- Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +1.212
- Esteban Ocon Alpine +1.258
- Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +1.358
- Robert Kubica Alfa Romeo +1.431
- Logan Sargeant Williams +1.465
- Kevin Magnussen Haas +1.509
- Pietro Fittipaldi Haas +1.571
- Pato O’Ward McLaren +1.717
- Jack Doohan Alpine +1.851
- Felipe Drugovich Aston Martin +2.262
- Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +2.402