Ferrari have completed a clean sweep of Friday practice, as Charles Leclerc set the fastest time of the 90-minute second practice session.
Following Robert Shwartzman taking over his Ferrari for the first practice session at the Circuit of The Americas, Charles Leclerc resumed the cockpit of his F1-75 for the afternoon session.
FP1, as planned for this weekend, was extended by 30 minutes to a 90-minute test session to allow Pirelli to carry out comparisons of their 2023 prototype tyres – meaning the teams carried out the vast majority of their on-track running using tyres of an unknown specification.
Leclerc put in a best time of 1:36.810 on the medium compound, ending up 0.7 seconds clear of Alfa Romeo’s Valtteri Bottas, and a further tenth ahead of Daniel Ricciardo’s McLaren – all three running 2022 tyres after missing out on the earlier session.
The other 17 drivers completed their running on the prototype tyres, with Carlos Sainz in fourth as the morning pacesetter finished 1.4 seconds down on Leclerc’s best.
Haas’ Mick Schumacher was fifth and a further 1.3 seconds down, ahead of McLaren’s Lando Norris and Red Bull’s Max Verstappen – the Dutch driver making the most of a quiet session to chat with actor Brad Pitt in the garage.
It was very much a session of accumulating mileage, with nothing particularly unusual happening during the 90 minutes as the drivers took the chequered flag in the evening sun and the shadows took over the tarmac – although Lewis Hamilton did encounter some apparent DRS issues travelling down the back straight that required some attention from Mercedes.
FP2 results: 2022 United States Grand Prix Second Practice
- 1. Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1:36.810
- 2. Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo +0.715
- 3. Daniel Ricciardo McLaren +0.817
- 4. Carlos Sainz Ferrari +1.422
- 5. Mick Schumacher Haas +2.697
- 6. Lando Norris McLaren +2.737
- 7. Max Verstappen Red Bull +2.765
- 8. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +2.888
- 9. Pierre Gasly AlphaTauri +3.030
- 10. Sergio Perez Red Bull +3.042
- 11. Kevin Magnussen Haas +3.274
- 12. Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri +3.368
- 13. George Russell Mercedes +3.752
- 14. Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo +3.854
- 15. Lance Stroll Aston Martin +3.996
- 16. Esteban Ocon Alpine +4.500
- 17. Fernando Alonso Alpine +4.524
- 18. Alex Albon Williams +5.043
- 19. Sebastian Vettel Aston Martin +5.047
- 20. Nicholas Latifi Williams +5.507