Grosjean more worried in 2018 about Haas axe

Date published: August 2 2019

Romain Grosjean

As rumours swirl about his future with Haas, Romain Grosjean has said he was more worried in 2018 than he is this year in getting the chop.

More questions about Grosjean’s future were asked on media day at the Hungaoring and he did not seem overly concerned about his clashes with team-mate Kevin Magnussen this season potentially leading to him being shown the exit door.

Haas team boss, Guenther Steiner, has all but ruled out a mid-season change, but a decision will have to made on which drivers the American outfit will pick for the 2020 campaign.

Grosjean, though, thinks he was in a more difficult situation 12 months ago having failed to score in the first eight races of the season compared to now.

“I was more worried last year than I am this year,” Grosjean said in the FIA Drivers’ Press Conference in Hungary.

“Last year there were a lot of reasons that I could have ended up this year at home. I made many mistakes that I shouldn’t have done with my experience. But I think since then I recovered pretty well.

“The races, I’m happy with my performance. I think qualifying I could have been better earlier in the year but now it’s back to what it was.

“Like I say…last year there were many, many reasons for me to be staying at home. This year, I guess there is many less [reasons].

Magnussen was asked the same question about whether he is fearful of his future with Haas and responded with a straight-to-the-point answer.

“I’m not worried at all,” Magnussen simply said.

The Haas duo also said there are no bad intentions from either driver, who respect each other and only want the best for the team despite their increasingly regular collisions.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.