Romain Grosjean was the man to beat as Formula 1 took to the Bahrain circuit for the opening day of testing, however, all the attention was on Mick Schumacher.
Schumacher, the son of seven-time F1 World Champion Michael, made his Formula 1 debut on Tuesday, testing with Ferrari.
— Formula 1 (@F1) April 2, 2019
The day’s action got off to a delayed start as a track inspection was carried out in the wake of Monday’s sandstorm.
Fernando Alonso, back in action for McLaren as he conducts a Pirelli tyre test, briefly led the way ahead of Lewis Hamilton before Grosjean seized control of the timesheets.
After two hours of running, the Haas driver was P1 with a 1:31.256 putting him 0.158s up on Max Verstappen. Alexander Albon in the Toro Rosso was third.
The Thai racer was the next to lead only for Grosjean to come back with a 1:30.982.
There was a momentary lull in the action as the forecast rain arrived at the circuit just after 11am with a short downpour making conditions ever more tricky as the water mixed with the dust and sand.
Bah! Rain! pic.twitter.com/g0K6MyxwLk
— Laurence Edmondson (@EdmondsonESPNF1) April 2, 2019
In the hour before the midday break, Schumacher improved to eighth place with a 1:32.552 as he covered 33 laps on Tuesday morning.
Moments later the rain returned, sending all the drivers back to their respective garages.
Grosjean was on top of the timesheets at lunch ahead of Albon and Verstappen.
Alonso was 10th quickest, 2.3s off the pace while once again it was a Williams in last place with George Russell a further four-tenths down.
1. Romain Grosjean Rich Energy Haas F1 Team 1m 30.982s 42 lap
2. Alexander Albon Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda 1m 31.089s 47 laps
3. Max Verstappen Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Honda 1m 31.319s 40 laps
4. Carlos Sainz McLaren F1 Team 1m 32.059s 32 laps
5. Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo Racing 1m 32.067s 22 lap
6. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport 1m 32.232s 50 laps
7. Lance Stroll SportPesa Racing Point F1 Team 1m 32.455s 23 laps
8. Mick Schumacher Scuderia Ferrari 1m 32.552s 33 laps
9. Daniel Ricciardo Renault F1 Team 1m 33.006s 32 laps
10. Fernando Alonso McLaren F1 Team 1m 33.289s 45 laps
11. Daniil Kvyat Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda 1m 33.653s 34 laps
12. George Russell ROKiT Williams Racing 1m 33.682s 27 laps