Honda asked for mechanics ‘review’ of 2019

Date published: December 23 2019

Honda asked trackside personnel for "review" of 2019 after returning to two-team supply.

Honda’s F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe has said that he asked for a “review” from trackside personnel after Honda returned to a two-team supply in 2019.

After supplying Toro Rosso for 2018, Honda announced that they would also power Red Bull for 2019, making it the first time they had supplied multiple teams in the V6 turbo-hybrid era.

It was important therefore to get the views of trackside personnel on their progress, with Tanabe saying the Japanese manufacturer asked for a “review” into the weaknesses of the campaign.

“It was challenging, of course,” Tanabe told Motorsport.com. “More staff here, more engines here. So far everything went reasonably well for both teams.

“I asked the engineers and the mechanics here, ‘What can we do for next year? Please review what we did this year. What was a concern, what was a problem, in terms of the trackside management?’.

“Then we can make a list, discuss it internally, discuss with the R&D department, and then bring the idea for next year.”

Not only did Honda complete more than double the running distance over grands prix weekends this year with 60,466km, compared to the four previous seasons, but they also powered Red Bull’s Max Verstappen to three race wins, while Toro Rosso secured two podiums for themselves.

Tanabe said that both teams were treated equally in 2019, and that will continue next season.

“We support the two teams equally – engine specification, the number of engineers and mechanics, the scale, all equal,” he said.

“When we started this year, we mixed the people [from 2018] and then brought extra support to make the same [level in both teams].

“We’ll keep the same style, for next year and always.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.