Hulkenberg: 2020 talks are are on-going

Date published: September 5 2019

Alain Prost believes Renault had to drop the "negative" and "pessimistic" Nico Hulkenberg.

Nico Hulkenberg says talks with teams about a 2020 driver are still “going on” despite rumours saying Haas would announce him at Monza.

Last week it was confirmed that the Renault driver would no longer be a Renault driver as of the end of this season.

The team announced that Esteban Ocon would be taking his place, leaving Hulkenberg job-less.

The F1 rumour mill, though, didn’t have him unemployed for very long with reports claiming Haas would confirm him as Kevin Magnussen’s 2020 team-mate on the Thursday at Monza.

That, though, is not going to happen.

Hulkenberg says talks about a 2020 drive are on-going but did not comment on which team – or even teams – he is speaking with.

Speaking during Thursday’s driver press conference at Monza, he said: “Nothing concrete yet, but there are talks going on.

“It’ll be a while yet.

“I guess the situation is what it is now but it needs to be the right deal for all.

“There’s no urgency or hurry to sign anything, but there’s options out there but nothing to talk about yet.”

Hulkenberg has been linked to a Haas seat and says he would have no issue partnering Magnussen despite the now infamous “suck my balls” comment.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.