Jack Aitken has walked away from Renault, ending his long-term association with the French manufacturer.
Graduating from the Renault Sport Academy in 2018, Aitken took up a test driver role with the Formula 1 team.
That, though, did not put him in the running for a 2020 race seat, possibly forcing his hand in his decision to quit Renault.
“I would like to express my thanks to Renault and the Academy for helping me reach a position where I can now take a very exciting next step in my career which will keep me on course to fulfill my ambition of reaching the very top of motorsport,” Aitken said in a statement.
“I wish the Renault F1 Team and its drivers every success for the future.
“I am not yet in a position to announce my plans for the forthcoming season but stay tuned to my social media channels for all the latest news which should be made public very soon.”
Today, I announce my departure from @RenaultF1Team. I can only say how much I’ll miss every single one of you guys, and moments at Enstone will forever by highlights of my life. Thank you for all you’ve done for me, and wish you the best. Onto a new chapter, and a fresh start. ✌🏻 pic.twitter.com/vYkDpZfY71
— Jack Aitken – 한세용 (@JaitkenRacer) February 3, 2020
Renault wished the 24-year-old well.
“It’s been a pleasure working with you and seeing you go from strength to strength over the years,” the team said on Twitter.
“On track of course, and as a meme machine.”
Aitken has spent the past two seasons competing in Formula 2 with first ART and then Campos Racing.
He was P5 in last year’s championship with reports linking him to another season with Campos in 2020.