Verstappen ‘certain’ there will be F1 in 2020

Date published: May 2 2020

Jos Verstappen "certain" there will be driving of some sort in 2020.

Jos Verstappen is “certain” that there will be some sort of driving in 2020, saying “a year without it is impossible”.

No racing has been possible in 2020 so far due to the global health pandemic. The opening 10 rounds of the original season have been called off, but bosses are hopeful of starting the campaign in Austria on July 5.

And Verstappen is “certain” that Formula 1 will hold some type of on-track driving in 2020, because it’s impossible for the series to survive if it doesn’t.

“There will certainly be driving. I’m convinced of that. A year without it is impossible, otherwise teams will really fall over and people will lose their jobs,” Verstappen told De Telegraaf.

“There are so many contracts at stake. Of course, health is the most important thing, but shutting down the entire economy for months is also not an option. Everyone should use their common sense. You now notice that people are going to resist.”

Multiple races could be held at the same venue this season, but that could create an advantage for some teams – Jos’ son Max Verstappen for example has won the last two races for Red Bull in Austria.

“You can indeed look at it this way, but perhaps two Grands Prix will follow in Silverstone and Mercedes has won there in recent years,” Verstappen continued.

“The most important thing is that at a certain moment you can drive. Then without an audience, it is no different. And they will have to test everyone well in advance.

“Fifteen people work on a Formula 1 car in a reasonably small space, so you can’t keep a meter and a half away.”

Verstappen also picked out an advantage for Max if Formula 1 goes ahead and starts the season with a restricted number of people in the paddock.

“A race without journalists also has one advantage for Max: he does not have to give so many interviews,” he said.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.