Kubica sponsors deny talk of early Williams exit

Date published: July 5 2019

Robert Kubica says Williams distracted him with steering wheel alterations when George Russell overtook him at the Spanish GP.

PKN Orlen, Robert Kubica’s major sponsors, have denied neither they or the Polish driver are preparing for early exits at Williams.

Kubica sealed a fairytale return to Formula 1 by being named as part of Williams’ 2019 line-up, but it has been far from a fairytale since then.

Both Kubica and George Russell have found themselves cut well adrift of the rest of the midfield pack this season and both drivers remain firmly on zero points.

But more misery has come Kubica’s way with Russell out qualifying him in every race so far this season, while Russell currently leads his team-mate 8-1 on race days.

As the tough times continue and Nicholas Latifi strongly linked as a replacement for Kubica, PKN Orlen have gone on record to put some rumours to bed.

“Any media speculations regarding the alleged limitation of PKN Orlen’s financial support for Williams Racing are untrue,” A PKN Orlen spokesperson told Formula Spy.

“The contract with Williams has been signed for the whole F1 racing season and is strictly related to Robert Kubica’s participation in F1. It also provides for an option to extend its term for another year.”

PKN Orlen would not be drawn on any further specifics of Kubica’s deal, only instead saying that the financing from them comes with ‘obligations’ from Williams.

The statement continued: “The contract precisely defines the terms of financing and the obligations of Williams.

“However, since its contents are protected by a confidentiality clause, we are not in a position to disclose any details.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.