Kvyat edging closer to Toro Rosso return

Date published: September 4 2018

Daniil Kvyat edging closer to Toro Rosso return

Daniil Kvyat is reportedly closing in on a Toro Rosso return with Helmut Marko saying “we’ll see” when asked about the possibility.

Kvyat was dropped from the Red Bull programme in 2017 after two unconvincing seasons.

Although he had been promoted to Red Bull in 2015, he was dropped four races into 2016 in favour of Max Verstappen.

Bumped down to Toro Rosso, Kvyat failed to shine and in 2017 found himself in and out of the car.

He was eventually out for good after the United States GP.

However, the Russian, who sought refuge at Ferrari, could return to Toro Rosso next year as the Red Bull programme is lacking in juniors knocking on F1’s door.

“I would say he is more mature, but we are not in a hurry with Toro Rosso,” Marko told Motorsport.com when asked if Kvyat was the favourite to replace Pierre Gasly.

“We will solve our driver problems. We have a big list of names, and we’ll see.”

Pressed on whether Red Bull would considering taking a driver from another manufacturer’s junior programme, Marko replied: “We are not keen to take a Mercedes driver.”

And while Toro Rosso has been linked to Ferrari junior driver Antonio Giovinazzi, Marko says that door is closed.

“I think Giovinazzi is going somewhere else,” he said.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.