Leclerc calls himself ‘useless’ after Baku Q2 crash
Charles Leclerc was incredibly self-critical after crashing out of qualifying and ruining all chance of a pole position in Baku.
Leclerc had been ticking along nicely all weekend having topped all three practice sessions, but disaster struck in Q2 when he crashed into the barrier at the very tight and narrow Castle section.
It was in the exact same spot that Williams’ Robert Kubica crashed at just 15 minutes earlier.
The Monaco driver is now set to start Sunday’s race from P9, unless more serious repairs are needed to his SF90 car, and is furious with himself for making a “stupid” mistake.
“No excuses. I’ve been useless. I will push to have a better tomorrow,” Leclerc wrote on social media.
“Sorry to all the people supporting us and even more to the whole team that deserved so much better.”
He then added to Sky Sports F1: “I deserved what happened today. I’m very sad but I deserve it.
“I’ve been stupid, as I said on team radio. I’ve calmed down but I still think I’ve been stupid.
“I will aim to learn from this and come back stronger and hopefully have a very good race tomorrow.
“I don’t want to say anything stupid but after looking at FP1, FP2, FP3, Qualy 1, pole was possible today and I’ve thrown all the potential in the bin.”
Asked if it was a lapse in concentration that led to the crash, he said: “No not really.
“I braked as much as I did on the soft, obviously I was on the medium and I locked up. I don’t want it to be misunderstood: it wasn’t a problem with the tyres, it was just myself.
“For the next few hours I will be beating myself up.”
Follow all the action from the Azerbaijan Grand Prix with the PlanetF1 live centre