Leclerc plays down difficulty of Ferrari switch

Date published: February 24 2019

Charles Leclerc's move to Formula 1 from F2 was more challenging than going from Sauber to Ferrari.

Charles Leclerc says the jump from Sauber to Ferrari is smaller than the one he was faced with 12 months ago.

Leclerc graduated to Formula 1 ahead of the 2018 campaign, joining Sauber following back-to-back titles in GP3 and F2 in the previous two seasons.

The 21-year-old struggled at the start of 2018, but after admitting he had to adapt his driving style, the prospect went from strength-to-strength, with his performances earning him a Ferrari call-up in 2019, after spending three years as part of their Driver Academy.

Leclerc carried out two days of running in Ferrari’s SF90 at Barcelona last week and claimed the step between teams was not as large as the one he faced in early 2018.

“It’s a different position I am in because last year when I arrived in winter testing, I was coming from Formula 2, so the step was big,” he said via Motorsport Week.

“Now it’s from a Formula 1 car to another Formula 1 car, so obviously the step is smaller.

“But I got used to it very quickly, so I already feel quite at ease with the car.

“There are already a lot of things that I need to get at ease with, but already the feeling is very good.

“It’s a car that is quite easy to drive now.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.