Leclerc vows to launch ‘full attack mode’

Date published: November 16 2019

Ferrari's Charles Leclerc has "no idea" what led to him being timed out of a last Q3 lap in Abu Dhabi.

Charles Leclerc says he will be in “full attack mode” when he starts the Brazilian Grand Prix from P14.

The Ferrari driver took a new power unit for the event which earned a 10-place grid penalty on his initial qualifying position.

P4 would be that position with the Monegasque driver finishing 0.220s down on polesitter Max Verstappen, meaning he must start the race from P14 on the medium compound tyres.

It’s safe to say that the performance hasn’t gone down well with Leclerc who feels he owed it to Ferrari to do a far better job than he did.

“I don’t think pole was out of reach today,” he told reporters in Sao Paulo.

“I am very disappointed with myself today, I did quite a big mistake on my first timed lap in the first corner which cost me at least three tenths, so yeah, it’s my fault and I take it completely.

“The team did a great job, the car was there to fight for pole at least and I didn’t do the job in the car.

“So disappointed, but anyway I have 10-places grid penalty for tomorrow so it was always going to be a difficult day.”

“Full attack mode” hasn’t always served Leclerc well, remember his home race in Monaco earlier this year?

But, that’s the strategy he has promised to return to at Interlagos on Sunday as he looks to work his way through the pack and defend the 14-point buffer he holds over Verstappen in P3 in the Drivers’ Championship.

“Full attack mode. This I enjoy, starting at the back, but I enjoy it a little less when I’m fighting for third in the championship,” he said of his plans for the race.

“But it’s life and I’ll try and enjoy it as much as possible and fight back.”

Follow all the action from the Brazilian Grand Prix with the PlanetF1 live centre