Marko blames Renault budget for Red Bull split

Date published: December 17 2018

Red Bull: Blame Renault budget

Red Bull’s motorsport advisor, Dr Helmut Marko, has said Renault’s budget was never going to be enough for them to compete with Mercedes and Ferrari.

Red Bull and Renault have gone their separate ways after 12 years together and their split was played out for absolutely everyone to see with both teams critical of each other in public.

Marko has continued to fan the flames and said Red Bull were left with no choice but to change engine suppliers because of Renault’s small budget.

“For us, it was clear at one point that Renault could not deliver us a victorious engine,” Marko told Motorsport-Magazin.com.

“With their budget, you can not expect them to fight against Ferrari and Mercedes. It was clear that we had to do something.

“Now, for the first time in our history, we have a factory engine [Honda]. There is a good development, and all that has happened so far is good for Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso for next season.”

Marko brushed off the stacks of penalties that were generated at Toro Rosso throughout the 2018 season with the Honda engine and appears to be relishing the chance to show Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul that they have made the correct decision.

“The Honda engine has been improved generally, many penalties have been taken into account because we have always wanted to bring something new,” he added.

“According to our simulations, we would have a much better appearance with the current Honda engine. But we do not need to think about that, Mr Abiteboul, and next year we will see.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.