Binotto: Mercedes should have protested Racing Point

Date published: September 4 2020

Mercedes Racing Point PA

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto said that if he was the Mercedes boss, then he would protest Racing Point’s copying.

The ‘pink Mercedes’ saga continues to roll on with Ferrari pushing ahead with their appeal against Racing Point’s 400,000 Euros fine and 15-point deduction for using Mercedes-inspired rear brake ducts.

Ferrari are arguing that the sanctions are not tough enough, whilst Racing Point have lodged an appeal themselves as they feel they haven’t done anything wrong.

But Binotto doesn’t understand why Mercedes aren’t getting involved in the appeal, since it was parts of their car which Racing Point copied.

The FIA have already announced new regulations for 2021 which will aim to stop teams from reverse engeneering through photographs of other cars like Racing Point did.

“Looking at competitors, trying to understand what they do, trying to study their car has been part of F1 history and I do not see anything bad in that,” said Binotto ahead of the Italian Grand Prix, as quoted by Racefans.net.

“I think to copy an entire design, that’s a dangerous period because that’s IP [intellectual property]. If I had been Mercedes, I would have protested someone copying myself.

“So I think that’s simply the spirit. I think taking pictures has always been done and I do not see anything wrong in the fact itself.”

Racing-Point-Mercedes-PA

Get your hands on the official Mercedes 2020 collection via the Formula 1 store

Renault pulled out of their appeal, whilst Ferrari pressed on, but Binotto said the team would be open to withdrawing it if they were satisfied with the new rules for 2021.

“We confirmed our protest, so we have appealed the decision of the stewards over the last races,” he explained.

“The reason for that is that we are fully convinced that what Racing Point did this season is not right. We believe that’s against the principle of our sport and we believe that cannot happen in the future.

“In that respect, we are asking and seeking for clarity with the FIA if regulations will be put in place, or a technical directive for the future in 2021, where we are pretty sure that it will not be possible to copy. Eventually we are ready to withdraw our appeal.”

The FIA have been busy with more immediate rule changes in the form of the ban on engine ‘quali modes’ which comes into effect for this weekends’ Italian Grand Prix.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.