McLaren to downsize their current motorhome

Date published: April 18 2021 - Finley Crebolder

McLaren

McLaren have confirmed that the motorhome that they bring to various races is to be downsized for the 2021 campaign.

Formula 1 have long spoken of their desire to make the sport more sustainable and environmentally friendly going forward.

Last year, Ross Brawn said that he felt getting rid of the team’s extravagant motorhomes in favour of on-site facilities would be a step in the right direction in this regard.

“We all go to a Grand Prix and for nine races of the year, we have motorhomes carted around by trucks, a large fleet of trucks, that give the teams the facilities they need,” he said.

“For the other 15 races, they are quite happy to use whatever’s there when they turn up on Thursday.

“We go to overseas races, for example we go to Baku, and you have a nice set of prefabs all laid out for you. Nobody complains, and it is all workable. Then we go to Monza and we have our gin palaces with all the trucks that are needed to transport them.

“So in the future, we want to move to a motorhome or hospitality facility which could be put up with far less impact in terms of logistics and transportation than we have now.”

Check all the latest 2021 teamwear via the official Formula 1 store

McLaren’s motorhome is one of the most extravagant there is, containing kitchens, offices, catering areas, meeting rooms and more.

In line with F1’s vision though, it is to be downsized for this season, team principal Andreas Seidl has confirmed.

“I don’t want to go too much into detail but one focus was clearly to have a solution for us in place for McLaren in the future which is much more sustainable in terms of how to transport it, how to set it up, and how to use it,” he said as per Motorsport.com.

“The clear objective was a more sustainable solution.”

Seidl says that he and the team are also open to Brawn’s idea of scrapping mobile motorhomes altogether in the future and using permanent facilities found at the venues.

“We would be very supportive regarding such a solution in the future,” he added.

“I see that more as a medium-term topic, but the discussion is still ongoing on this.”

The refurbished motorhome will first be used in Monaco and will be transported using eight trucks rather than 17 as it did last year.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.