Mercedes never contacted Vettel, Alonso or Verstappen

Date published: November 8 2019

Hamilton suggests Fernando Alonso as Gasly's replacement

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has said Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso and Max Verstappen were never contacted to become Lewis Hamilton’s team-mate.

All three drivers have been linked with joining the Silver Arrows over the last few years, especially when the annual fire-up of the rumour mill at Mercedes begins as Valtteri Bottas gets close to finishing another one of his 12-month contracts with the team.

But, Bottas will be heading into his fourth season as a Mercedes driver in 2020, with Wolff and the rest of the team happy with his results and the harmony he brings following the creation of a toxic atmosphere between Hamilton and former team-mate Nico Rosberg.

“They are all high level drivers,” Wolff said when asked about the aforementioned trio in an interview with Sky Sports Italy.

“But it is important that when you are in a relationship, I put everything into it. When things go wrong the first thing I do is talk to that person and see if we can solve the problem.

“If it’s not possible then I talk to others.

“At the moment I think we have the best team. I think Lewis and Valtteri are great together and I don’t think I could have a better team.

“The relationship is wonderful so no, I never contacted Seb, Fernando or Max.”

Wolff is also still of the opinion that Bottas is absolutely capable of winning a World Championship.

“I think last year’s title race changed in Baku, Valtteri was unlucky there.

“I am sure that if Bottas starts the season well then he can win the title because he is mentally very strong.

“At the moment Lewis is so strong there is no one who can beat him, but we have chosen two drivers to win the World Championship, not one to be a second driver to Lewis.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.