Mick was ‘ready to go racing’ but Haas needed to manage spares

Michelle Foster
Marshals clear the debris from Mick Schumacher wrecked Haas. Saudi Arabia March 2022

The Saudi Arabian marshals clear the debris from Mick Schumacher's wrecked Haas, cement dust laid down. Saudi Arabia March 2022

Mick Schumacher says he would have been “ready to go racing” in Saudi Arabia, but that Haas’ need to manage “car parts” kept him out of the grand prix.

Schumacher’s Haas was destroyed in Saturday night’s qualifying, the German clipping the kerb at Turn 10 and crashing nose-first into the barrier at speed.

Such was the impact that the momentum carried him down to Turn 12 where his wrecked Haas came to a rest.

Haas lost all communications with the driver, Schumacher barely moving in his car as he waited for the medical team to extract him.

He was loaded into the waiting ambulance, taken to the track’s medical centre before being airlifted to a local hospital for precautionary checks.

He was released later that night, the 23-year-old having escaped the 170mph crash without injury.

Despite that he did not take his spot on the grid, Haas announcing that he would not compete.

Schumacher says that was because of a parts issue, and not because there were concerns about his health.

He told Motorsport.com that he would have been “ready to go racing” but that he could not because of “component management, car parts in general, we have to see and look after that we are surely able to race in Melbourne.

“I knew that it’s race two, spare parts are usually quite difficult at this time of year. So I kind of figured that might be difficult, but nonetheless, I was hoping.”

That Schumacher walked away unhurt is miraculous given the state of his car, which broke in two, with everyone watching worried for him.

Valtteri Bottas, who drove past the scene of the accident, was seen checking on the 23-year-old while Lewis Hamilton later went to Haas’ hospitality for an update.

Schumacher says he was always fine, he just needed time in the car to absorb what had transpired.

“I was 100 percent,” he said. “It was mainly frustration, and me being annoyed by the fact that this happened, and obviously just reflecting on what I’d just gone through, and what I could have done better.

“I think that I just wanted to make sure before I started moving erratically around that everything is fine. And obviously, all the marshals and also the doctors came by and made sure that I was all fine.

“It was a big one. From what I heard, we were like around 270 km/h when I did hit that wall. I think in a road car, that wouldn’t look quite well. But I mean, luckily, the cars are so safe these days that I was able to walk away from it and stand here with no issues.

“Let’s say it like this, once I lost the rear, I knew what was coming. So I could prepare for it.”

 

The horror crash had Sergio Perez labelling the Jeddah Corniche circuit the “most dangerous” on the calendar while Lando Norris called for changes to be made to that kerb.

Schumacher believes it’s the characteristics of this year’s cars that made the kerb that he clipped all the more tricky.

“From what I remember, last year it was less of a concern just because of the way the cars were built, we had a very high rake, the rear of the car was usually quite up in the air,” he said.

“Nowadays, the cars go pretty low, especially on this circuit. So the moment you do hit this kerb, which is quite high, the rear tyres is lose contact to the surface.

“That means that there will be a snap of some sort. And we saw that I think also from a few other drivers in Q3, where they had a close moment.

“And I think it’s something definitely that people will have to revise and see [if it needs] to be fixed, if we come back here.”

 

Mick was 'ready to go' but Haas needed to manage spares

Despite being '100%' after his crash on Saturday, Mick Schumacher was left out of Sunday's race as Haas needed to manage spares.