Latifi on postponed Canada GP: Sad but inevitable

Date published: April 8 2020

Nicholas Latifi on postponed Canada GP: Sad but inevitable

Nicholas Latifi says it was “inevitable” that the Canadian GP would be postponed but admits he is sad to miss out on what would have been his debut home race.

Latifi, signed by Williams for the 2020 Formula 1 season, is still waiting to make his official debut.

The Canadian’s season is on hold as one by one grand prix venues either cancel or postpone their events.

The latest is Montreal, which announced on Tuesday that the 2020 Canadian GP had been postponed.

Francois Dumontier, President and CEO Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix, added that the Montreal track would welcome the sport “with open arms at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve as soon as it is safe to do so.”

The announcement means Latifi will have to wait until the June 28th French GP to make his debut, unless that too is postponed.

He told his website: “So, today we learned that the Canadian GP has been postponed.

“Naturally, I’m sad that I’ll have to wait for the chance to race at my home F1 event.

“Since I’ve been competing, my ambition has been to represent my country at the highest level. And I’ve been looking forward to June’s race in Montreal ever since I was announced as a driver with Williams.

“But as action to control the spread of the virus stepped up, and other Montreal festivals were delayed or cancelled, today’s news was inevitable, I guess.

“My thoughts right now are with the race organising team who work flat out all year to put on such a great event. And obviously today’s news is disappointing for the awesome Canadian fans who always turn out in their thousands to watch us race.

“We had some fun things planned for the GP, but we’ll have to pause those for the time being. If I have to wait a little bit longer for a rearranged race, that’s just how it is. Other drivers also face the prospect of their home race being disrupted.

“Fingers crossed the Canadian GP does happen at some stage this year. For now, my focus is on training and preparation so I’m 100% ready for when we do get the chance to go racing again.”

Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey has already stated that he hopes Formula 1 will get to Canada later this year.

“We have been working closely with our friends at the Canadian Grand Prix over the past few weeks and support them in taking this necessary decision to ensure the safety of fans and the F1 community,” he said.

“We always look forward to travelling to the incredible city of Montreal and while we will all have to wait a bit longer, we will put on a great show when we arrive later this year.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.