Forced to take an extended break as F1 went on hiatus, Pierre Gasly says he is working on his fitness ahead of what could be a hectic run of triple header grands prix.
Earlier this month Formula 1 cancelled the Australian Grand Prix, sparking a run of announcements.
Next to go were Bahrain and Vietnam, followed by Holland, Spain and Monaco.
Baku wass next in line with organisers announcing on Monday that they are postponing the grand prix.
“When they announced that we would not be racing, it hit me,” Gasly told AFP of the Australian GP cancellation.
“I had been so excited, there had been so much preparation with the team and physically all winter.
“At the time, we were a little frustrated not to be racing because that is what I want to do and it’s what motivates me.
“But when you see the situation, there is no way to avoid postponing events, sports or otherwise.”
Gasly is using his time during the enforced break to focus on his fitness, especially as some are predicting a bumper second half to the year with 18 grands prix in 182 days.
“We have a plan for the next few weeks and we’re doing even more than usual,” he said.
“I have never had, over the past 10 years, two months ahead of me before the season resumes to prepare physically.
“I already felt largely ready, we had worked really well during the winter, but to add another two months of preparation, it’s an opportunity to be even stronger physically when the season starts.”
Part of that bumper calendar is expected to include a spate of triple headers, which Gasly admits are “exhausting” given the weight the drivers lose three weekends in a row.
“It’s exhausting as you lose between two and three kilos per race and then you have the flights,” said the 24-year-old.
“There is an intensity during a race weekend – from morning to evening, it never stops.
“But if we have three or four races in a row, it is up to us to prepare in the best condition, pay even more attention to recovery and to be at 100 per cent capacity each time.”