Racing Point confirm Perez on long-term deal

Date published: August 30 2019

Sergio Perez staying put at Racing Point

Racing Point F1 will have an unchanged driver line-up in 2020 after confirming Sergio Perez has signed a new long-term contract.

Perez will once again partner Lance Stroll, whose future with the team had been assured after his father Lawrence took overall control during the 2018 campaign.

Racing Point has now confirmed Mexican Perez’s future as he has signed a new three-year deal.

“We know Sergio very well and it’s great to confirm him on a long-term deal,” team principal Otmar Szafnauer said.

“Over the last six years we have seen him become a very complete driver with excellent qualifying speed and exceptional race craft. Sergio believes in the long-term vision of this project and getting his commitment until the end of 2022 gives us valuable consistency going forward.

“As the team continues to grow and develop it’s important to have a driver with Sergio’s level of experience, especially with new regulations on the horizon. The whole team is thrilled to continue working with Sergio and I believe we can enjoy great success together in the coming years.”

Perez, who has been driving for the Silverstone-based outfit since 2014, is naturally delighted.

“I’m very excited to extend my partnership with the team for the next three years,” he said.

“I’ve been working together with this group of people for a long time now and they have become my second family. Together we have enjoyed a tremendous amount of success and we share the same passion for racing.

“I have been impressed with the direction the team has taken over the last twelve months and that gives me confidence for the future. I believe the best times are still to come and I look forward to celebrating plenty of podiums in the years ahead.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.