Red Bull not thinking about Vettel return

Date published: February 18 2020 - Mark Scott

Sebastian Vettel

Red Bull owner, Dietrich Mateschitz, has said a potential return for Sebastian Vettel is not currently being thought of by the team.

Red Bull’s motorsport advisor, Dr Helmut Marko, recently suggested that Vettel enquired about returning to the team he won four World Championships with during the winter break.

But the cash has been splashed on a new long-term contract for Max Verstappen which leaves very little wiggle room for the team to bring in another driver like Vettel who would also come with a big salary outlay.

In a interview with Speed Week, Mateschitz was asked about the rumours regarding Vettel and he gave a quick, straight to the point response.

“It is not being thought of,” Mateschitz simply said.

Mateschitz also revealed his very high hopes for the new season after being impressed with what he has seen from the team during the winter period.

“Compared to previous years, we clearly have the highest expectations this year,” he added.

“All the data from the computer and the wind tunnel is better than last year and we are confident that this will be reflected on the track.

“That means we can hope to compete for the world championship.

“Our engine partner Honda did an excellent job in the winter.

“We managed kilometres on the test stand like never before, about 5000 without any problems.

“The engine enables us to compete at the front in terms of performance and reliability.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.