Red Bull will decide 2020 line up after USGP

Date published: September 10 2019

Alex Albon

Red Bull will wait until after November’s United States GP to make a call on who will partner Max Verstappen next season.

At present Verstappen is the only driver contracted to Red Bull Racing for 2020.

While he began this year with a new team-mate in Pierre Gasly, that didn’t work out for Red Bull nor the Frenchman, who was demoted back to Toro Rosso ahead of the Belgian GP.

Alexander Albon stepped up in his place, finishing fifth on his debut before adding a P6 last time out in Italy.

Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko has been impressed with Albon so far.

“He fits in well, made a strong debut in Belgium and does what we expected him to do,” he told SpeedWeek.com.

“He was fully there from the first lap.”

Despite that, though, Red Bull have made it clear that Albon is just one of three drivers in the running to partner Verstappen next season, Gasly being another as is Daniil Kvyat.

Red Bull will make a call after November’s United States GP, giving them all another five races to prove why they deserve a Red Bull race-seat.

Marko added: “After the USA race we will evaluate who will drive where in 2020.”

The Red Bull advisor denied that Albon has an advantage given his Thai nationality, a compatriot of Red Bull co-owner Chaleo Yoovidhya.

“His commitment had nothing to do with the Thai co-owners of Red Bull,” Marko said. “They never spoke to us. That’s all up to us. ”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.