Renault add a bit of spice as Alonso rumours heat up

Date published: May 14 2020

Fernando Alonso

Renault threw a few logs on the fire as the rumour mill suggests Fernando Alonso could be on his way back for a third stint at the Enstone team.

Alonso raced for Renault from 2002 to 2006, winning two World titles, before returning in 2008 for another two-year stint although that one wasn’t nearly as successful.

He quit Formula 1 at the end of 2018 but is never far away from peoples’ thoughts, especially when it comes to silly season rumours.

With Carlos Sainz off to Ferrari, and Daniel Ricciardo taking his McLaren seat, Renault is in a need of a new driver for the 2021 season.

Enter Fernando Alonso.

According to speculation in just about every publication you read on Thursday morning, Renault is looking to the Spaniard to fill the vacant seat and guide newcomer Esteban Ocon.

Renault even threw a few logs on the Twitter fire as the team reminded us all about its haydays with the double World Champion.

Alonso was quick to reply.

The 38-year-old had recently told the world that he just about had his 2021 plans signed and sealed.

“I know more or less what I’m going to do in 2021, I hope you know soon, but I can’t say more,” he said in an Instagram Q&A earlier this month.

He also implied that F1 wasn’t on the list.

He continued: “I always said that in 2021, with new rules, it was possible that I would return to Formula One, because perhaps the cars are more balanced and I am hungry to test myself again.”

But with the rules being delayed until 2022, Alonso says that is “bad news” for Formula 1.

All of that, though, was said before Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari dropped their bombshell on Tuesday morning.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.