Rio de Janeiro track layout revealed

Date published: May 22 2019

Rio-de-Janeiro-track-layout

Plans for the Hermann Tilke-designed Rio de Janeiro circuit have been revealed, but it won’t join the calendar until 2021.

Last month Brazilian president Jair Bolsonaro announced that Interlagos had lost its rights to host the Brazilian Grand Prix with the race instead moving to Rio de Janeiro.

Bolsonaro said this would happen as early as next year.

However, weeks later it was revealed that Interlagos would continue to host the grand prix through to the end of 2020.

After that, Rio de Janeiro will take over.

The new track, which will be named Rio MotorPark and features a complex that will be called the ‘Senna S’, is designed by F1 circuit designer Tilke.

“The proposal we have brought to Rio seeks to present a picture of a modern track, dynamic and full of emotion,” said Tilke.

“At the same time, we think of a space with a multidisciplinary approach that allows a very wide range of use in other sports, serving the whole community.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.