It has been confirmed that Sao Paulo’s Interlagos will host a Grand Prix every season until 2025 at the least.
The future of the Brazilian Grand Prix has been unclear for some time, with it being previously heavily rumoured that it would move from Sao Paulo to Rio de Janeiro.
Such fears were eased when a race at Interlagos was included on the 2021 calendar, and it has now been officially confirmed that a race will take place at the iconic track until 2025, although it will be officially called the Grand Prix of Sao Paulo.
“We are pleased to announce the city of São Paulo will continue to host the Brazilian Grand Prix until 2025 and look forward to working with our new promoter in the years ahead,” Chase Carey said.
“Brazil is a very important market for Formula 1 with devoted fans and a long history in the sport.
“The race in Brazil has always been a highlight for our fans, the drivers and our partners and we look forward to providing Formula 1 fans with an exciting race at Interlagos in 2021 and over the next five years.”
— Formula 1 (@F1) December 16, 2020
The name change has been made as the race will be funded by the city itself rather than by the Brazilian government, which has been pushing for a race in Rio instead.
Sao Paulo’s mayor, Bruno Covas, isn’t concerned, and is confident that the race will ultimately benefit the city and the surrounded area financially.
“It is a great joy to be able to announce that Interlagos will continue to host one of the of the most important events in world motorsports,” he said.
“We made a tremendous effort to keep the race in our city. We have a robust infrastructure for tourists, public safety and offer top-notch services.
“We believe that hosting the Grand Prix, in addition to promoting our city to the world, will continue to bring important contributions such as job creation and income generation.
“We have seen studies that show that for every R$1 invested in the São Paulo GP, R$5.20 is generated for the local economy.”