Sebastian Vettel says it is “not true” that he will announce his retirement from F1 when he speaks with Martin Brundle next week.
Leaving Ferrari at the end of this season, Vettel is on the lookout for a new job for 2021.
Or is he?
Former F1 driver turned commentator Brundle revealed to the world that he will be interviewing the German next Thursday at the Hungaroring.
The Brit stated that Vettel had been the one to ask for the interview.
“Next Thursday, I have an interview with Seb, in Hungary,” the Sky F1 man said. “He asked for that interview.
“I then asked him what he wants to talk about next week. He said that I could make that up, he has been very articulate lately, he said himself.”
This led to some speculation on social media that Vettel had asked for the interview to inform Brundle that he will be retiring from Formula 1 at the end of this season.
Vettel has denied this.
“Not true,” he told Autobild when asked if the interview was to announce something big.
He added: “An interview with Sky in Austria was actually planned. We had to postpone that in favor of ORF to Hungary. That was what the conversation with Brundle was about and nothing else.
“This has been a little exaggerated.”
Vettel has in fact made it clear that he wants to remain in Formula 1, although his options are fading fast.
Renault put an end to speculation that Vettel could replace Daniel Ricciardo next season when it announced that Fernando Alonso could be returning to the team for a third stint.
Added to that Racing Point says it has long term deals in place with its two drivers while Christian Horner says it is a “definite no” to Vettel re-joining Red Bull in 2021.
Speaking to the media ahead of the Styrian GP weekend, Vettel admitted he would be open to returning to Red Bull.
“Red Bull is a winning car so probably the answer would be yes,” he said.
“It would be interesting. I know this team from the past very well and of course I still have contact with many people – Christian (Horner), Helmut (Marko) etc.
“They have a strong car and they are a strong team, that’s what I know from the past.”
Horner, however, shut that door not 24 hours later.
“We didn’t expect him to be on the market this year,” the team boss told Sky Sports F1.
“Our commitment is to our existing drivers. We think that we have a great pairing in Max and Alex and we think that has great potential for the future.
“So, unfortunately, it’s not something that we are going to be able to accommodate. That is a definite no I am afraid and Sebastian is aware of that.”
Follow all the action from the Styrian Grand Prix with the PlanetF1 live centre