Perez ‘followed all protocols’ in Mexico trip
Sergio Perez says he followed all the protocols that F1 has in place when he returned to Mexico to see his mother after she had a “big accident”.
Perez will miss this weekend’s British Grand Prix and perhaps also next weekend’s 70th Anniversary GP at the same track having tested positive for the coronavirus.
In the week’s break between the Hungarian and British GPs, he revealed he returned to Mexico to visit his mother who had been in an accident.
Despite following all the protocols and instructions, he still tested positive upon his arrival in the United Kingdom.
As such he has to sit out this weekend’s grand prix, calling it one of the “saddest” days of his career.
Get Sky TV, Sky Sports & Sky Cinema for £46 p/m for 18 months
“Hi everybody, as you know I tested positive for Covid-19,” he said in a video posted on his social channels.
“I’m extremely sad, it’s definitely one of the saddest moments of my career, the preparation we put in to this weekend to be 100 per cent ready for it, I knew I had a great car, the team had done a fantastic job.
“I’m really sad this happened but it shows how vulnerable we are all to this virus.
“I followed all of the instructions from the FIA and my team, after Hungary, to take a private plane to Mexico to see my mum for two days as she had a big accident.
“As soon as she left hospital I could see her, then I came back to Europe the same way, with all the protocols in place.
“I got it, I don’t know from where, I have no symptoms at all, it shows how vulnerable we all are.
“I want to thank my fellow drivers for all the support they have given me, my team, the authorities, the fans.
“It is a tough moment for me at the moment but I’m sure I will come back stronger from this.
“Stay safe, look after yourself, and your families, and I hope to see you soon at the race track.”
Thank you everyone for your support and stay safe! 🙏 pic.twitter.com/9IjDKMaWy3
— Sergio Pérez (@SChecoPerez) July 31, 2020
This is not the first time that Perez has missed a grand prix Sunday.
Back in 2011 he suffered a massive crash during qualifying for the Monaco Grand Prix and was declared unfit to race on the Sunday.
He also had a non-start at the 2014 Malaysian GP when a gearbox issue meant he couldn’t take the start.
Perez is expected to be replaced by Nico Hulkenberg for the British Grand Prix with the former F1 driver in the paddock and reportedly just awaiting the result of his own Covid-19 test.
Follow all the action from the British Grand Prix with the PlanetF1 live centre