To return or not to return, the Alonso question

Date published: November 23 2018

To return or not to return, the Alonso question

He hasn’t even left yet but already everyone wants to know will Fernando Alonso ever be back in F1. Today he says that “door is not closed.”

The double World Champion announced in August that he would be leaving Formula 1 at the end of this season.

At the time he said maybe if McLaren improve in the years to come, he’ll be back.

Since then that question has dominated any press conference involving the Spaniard as fans, and rivals, are sad to see him go.

Today he says maybe.

“Right now it’s difficult to think about coming back, but the door is not closed,” said the 37-year-old.

“I don’t know how I will feel next year. I have been doing this for my whole life so maybe next year by April or May I’m desperate on the sofa so maybe I find a way somehow to come back.

“But it’s not the initial idea.

“So it’s more about myself: if I come back it’s not for any particular reason or deadline or something that has to happen. It’s going to be more how I feel in the middle of next year.”

Alonso has announced he will contest the 2019 Indianapolis 500. The other details about his racing programme for next season have yet to be revealed.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.