Wolff addresses the Aston Martin rumours…again

Date published: April 6 2020

Toto Wolff

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has once again stated he has no plans to become CEO or make an investment in Aston Martin.

With Aston Martin officially returning to Formula 1 as a works team in 2021 at the same time Wolff’s current Mercedes contract will have ended, the rumour mill is overdrive mode.

Wolff and Aston Martin investor, Lawrence Stroll, are good friends but Wolff has said the people making those connections are getting the maths all wrong.

“In most stories that could be read about it, people added up 1 + 1 and turned it into 3,” Wolff told Austrian newspaper, Osterreich.

“What is my current status? My participation in Mercedes is solid, my contract runs until the end of 2020, and we are still in good discussions about what we want to do together.

“We are discussing. But all of this has been pushed into the background by Corona. We all have bigger problems to solve now: human problems in our companies.”

“I’m not going to become CEO of Aston Martin, and I’m not going to make a strategic investment there either.”

Wolff went on to say that, in the “short term”, he plans to remain with the Silver Arrows, despite some unexplained unhappiness over the winter.

“I’m in the eighth year now,” he said.

“I love sports and this team. However, I am somewhat surprised by the turn of events over the winter and by the behaviour of individual people.

“Of course, this also has to do with my decision on what to do in 2020 and beyond. But I am and will remain the head of Mercedes Motorsport and F1 boss, and nothing will change in the short term.”

Although Wolff had previously denied the Aston Martin links in another interview, the rumours did persist that all was not well between Wolff and Mercedes as there are reportedly “cracks in the relationship”.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.