Pascal Wehrlein has confirmed he is in talks with Ferrari over a development role, but no deal has been signed just yet.
News emerged earlier in the week that the German was going to cross the Mercedes-Ferrari divide after his contract with the Silver Arrows expired on December 31.
Wehrlein was reportedly at Ferrari’s HQ on Monday ahead of becoming a development driver for the Scuderia, who need new recruits following the departures of Daniil Kvyat to Toro Rosso and Antonio Giovinazzi at Sauber.
Wehrlein will be making his Formula E debut this weekend with Mahindra Racing, but said that driving in the all-electric series allowed him to keep some potential Formula 1 options open.
“The state of affairs is that talks are taking place, but nothing has yet been confirmed,” Wehrlein told German publication Motorsport-Magazin.
“One of the reasons I chose Formula E was that you could also do jobs in other championships.
“I already said last year that I’m very interested in doing something else besides Formula E. Working with Ferrari would of course be a very good opportunity.”
Vettel has name-checked Wehrlein as a driver he likes in the past, but Wehrlein is unsure whether the four-time World Champion has had any impact on his impending arrival.
He added: “I’ve been getting along well with him for a very long time. To what extent he was involved, I cannot assess.”
Wehrlein was unfortunate to lose his Sauber seat ahead of the 2018 season, but still has the motivation to return to the sport.
“My goal remains Formula 1,” he explained. “Currently I am happy with how I am positioned this year.
“For me it is good to sit in a Formula E or generally in a Formula car. That’s what I want to do, because I see my future in Formula racing.”