Williams confirm outright sale still on the table

Date published: July 11 2020

Claire Williams says that an outright sale of the team is still a possibility that’s being considered, amid interest from investors.

During the racing hiatus, Williams announced that they were taking various refinancing measures and were looking to sell stakes in the company going forward.

Just last week, Claire Williams, the deputy team principal, stated that there was “really strong” interest being shown by various investors, and she has reiterated that point.

“We’re happy with the process and how it is going so far,” she told Autosport.

“We have received a number of very interesting potential investors, and we’re talking to those at the moment. They are high quality, which we’re delighted about.

“And we continue to go through that process at the moment. As we said at the start of it we anticipated that it will last anywhere from three to four months, and we’re still on that timeline at the moment.”

Get your hands on the official Williams 2020 collection via the Formula 1 store

While most of the talk has been around selling shares in the team to outside investors, the company were also open to selling outright when they went on the market, and Williams clarified that that is still the case.

“The parameters haven’t changed,” she added.

“As everybody knows, Williams is a listed company, we have to operate as per the takeover code and panel, and the guidelines that they dictate, that’s why the strategic review process is as it is.

“We’re looking either for investment into the team, the divestment of a minority or a majority shareholding, or a full sale.

“We’re still thinking along any of those lines. The options are available to us, and it will be the board’s decision as to the best option that is put on the table.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.