Wolff linked with Carey’s F1 CEO role after 2020

Mark Scott
Toto Wolff called Ferrari's power advantage on the straights in Bahrain "enormous".

Toto Wolff called Ferrari's power advantage on the straights in Bahrain "enormous".

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has been tipped as a potential successor to Chase Carey as Formula 1’s CEO once his current contract with the Silver Arrows expires.

According to RaceFans.net and their sources, Wolff is reportedly considering his future with Mercedes as the team principal.

His current deal runs until the end of the 2020 season, the same time as Carey’s contract as CEO and chairman of Liberty Media is also due to expire.

There is due to be a changing of the guard at Mercedes, with current CEO Dieter Zetsche set to step down at the end of May and replaced by Ola Källenius, a strong supporter of electric cars and Mercedes’ entry into Formula E in 2020.

The departure of Zetsche and the imminent arrival of Källenius, with Wolff’s relationship with the latter said to be not the most healthy, are the reported possible factors in the 47-year-old Austrian considering his future.

RaceFans have also reported that Wolff’s 30 per cent stake in the team, along with Niki Lauda’s 10 per cent share, is subject to a pull option which would allow Mercedes to reacquire the total 40 per cent.

Carey was due to step down as CEO at the end of the 2019 season, but signed a 12-month extension to help with the transition towards the new regulations coming into effect in 2021.

Carey is expected to remain part of the picture as chairman post-2020, which has created a possible job opportunity for Wolff.

RaceFans asked Formula 1 to comment on the situation, but a spokesperson declined.

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.