Wolff weighs in on Verstappen to Mercedes rumours

Date published: June 30 2019

Max-Verstappen-and-Lewis-Hamilton

Although Toto Wolff hasn’t spoken with Max Verstappen about a 2020 drive, he hasn’t ruled it out either.

Earlier this week Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko confirmed to Auto Motor und Sport the existence of an exit clause in Verstappen’s contract.

Although the Dutchman has a contract with Red Bull until the end of 2020, there are conditions under which he can begin speaking with rival teams.

Those are believed to be if Red Bull fall outside the top three or if he hasn’t won a grand prix by the summer break.

But while Marko is concerned that Mercedes could steal their driver, Wolff says he hasn’t spoken with the 21-year-old about swapping to Mercedes.

“I haven’t spoken to Max,” he told journalists in Austria.

“I’d like to continue like we’ve always done it in the past, first to evaluate our current line up and discuss with the drivers and what their views are before really entering into a proper discussion with anybody else.”

Should Mercedes sign Verstappen it would give the team a formidable line up as Lewis Hamilton is contracted to the team for 2020.

But while the Brit is happy to keep Valtteri Bottas as his team-mate, he says it would also be “great” teaming up with Verstappen.

Asked about the reports linking Verstappen to Mercedes, Hamilton replied: “People are always making up stuff. It’s the first I’ve heard of it.

“I think the team’s pretty happy with Valtteri and me.

“So I do know Max is definitely interested in opportunities.

“I don’t know. Maybe. If there is [a chance], then great.”

Follow us on Twitter @Planet_F1 and like our Facebook page.