Abiteboul: Don’t expect much from Renault in 2016

Date published: December 28 2015 - Editor

The managing director of Renault Sport F1 and Lotus F1 says people should not expect a dramatic step forward in form from them in 2016.

In his first interview with Motorsport.com since Renault completed the takeover of Lotus earlier this week, Cyril Abiteboul said that he expected the upcoming season to be judged not by the points scored but how well the organisation gels.

“I think we need to be honest,” he told Motorsport.com. “When you decide to go F1 racing on December 18, there is no way that you can expect to have fantastic results.

“But we are coming here with a clear plan, not only for next year but also years to come. In my opinion, next year will not only be successful if we are doing well on track. There are many things that we want to do well next year, starting with the structure.

“How well do we integrate the structure? How do we integrate the people, the organisation? How do we put in place the links between the two entities? The culture, the mindset? How do we start catching up properly on the engine?

“We want an engine that is completely reliable at the start of the season, and at the first test. We want to make substantial steps.”

The Renault boss went on to say that they needed to be humble in what their expectations should be in the new year.

“The target for next year, it is not just about scoring points in the championship. We need to be humble in our expectations for next year," he said.

“But there is much more that needs to come next year than just points in the championship.”