Alonso not giving up on third title

Date published: March 1 2016

Fernando Alonso says he would not still be racing in Formula 1 if he didn't believe he had a chance of adding a third World title to his tally.

It has been a decade since Alonso last lifted the Drivers' Championship trophy, which he did back in 2006 with Renault.

Since then he has raced for McLaren, gone back to Renault, joined Ferrari and more recently returned to McLaren – and all with a best showing of runner-up on three occasions.

Alonso, though, believes a third title could still be on the cards.

"Yes, I think so," he told Spanish radio station COPE when asked if a third title was possible.

"I compete to win. If there was no chance, I wouldn't do it."

That third title may be a leap too far for McLaren this season but Alonso reckons he could at least finish a race or two on the podium.

"I do not think we are far from achieving a podium.

"I would be surprised if we managed it at the start of the season, because in the first few races not everything will be place."

But while Alonso admits McLaren are "starting a project and we are still some way off", he is adamant he does not regret leaving Ferrari.

"I was offered to renew until 2019 and did not want to take it up. I would never have been World Champion there.

"Now I enjoy Formula 1 more being 10 positions further behind."