Bottas: No massive panic over contract extension

Date published: September 15 2017

Handed a new one-year deal by Mercedes earlier this week, Valtteri Bottas says at no stage of this season did he panic over his contract situation.

The Finn joined Mercedes at the start of this campaign on a one-year deal.

It has proven to be a successful partnership with the Finnish driver claiming his first race win in Russia before following that up with a second in Austria.

As such Mercedes announced earlier this week that Bottas will stay on for the 2018 season.

“Of course it is nice to know where you are going to be racing next year,” he told reporters in Singapore.

“It’s a good feeling, better than not knowing and better than not having information.

“But there’s been no point honestly in the season where I’ve been in a massive panic about it.

“The season started pretty well, we’ve got some good results together, and at no point during the year so far have I got any signs from the team they were looking somewhere else.

“That’s why it’s not like a massive difference, the feeling, but obviously it’s all positive.”

The former Williams man also isn’t fazed that once again he’s on a one-year deal.

“I understand of course always the team’s view on things, and for sure the team also wants to have options open for the future,” he said.

“I understand 100 per cent, but with this I am very happy. It’s still better than the original contract that I had.

“It’s still as always before with my career in F1, it’s going to be completely down to me. If I perform well, there’s going to be no problem, and we can have a long future together.”