BRDC: No decision on British GP future

Date published: January 21 2017

The British Racing Drivers’ Club have denied reports claiming that they will “definitely” break the contract to host the British Grand Prix.

BRDC chairman John Grant recently cast doubt over the future of the British GP after warning that “the board is considering whether we should give notice before the 2017 British Grand Prix (as required) of our intention to exercise the break clause in the contract at the end of 2019.”

At the time Grant claimed that hosting the grand prix could have a negative impact on Silverstone’s long-term future.

The situation appeared to be dire earlier this week when The Sun reported that the BRDC had stated that they will “definitely drop the grand prix” before 2020.

Grant, though, insists a decision has yet to be made.

“Our objective is to preserve the British Grand Prix at Silverstone for many years to come but, of course, we can only do this if it makes economic sense,” he said in a statement.

“As I have said before, we will be considering over the next six months if we should give notice of our intention to exercise the break clause in our Grand Prix contract at the end of 2019.

“No decision has been made, or will be made, until mid July.

“In the meantime, we will be using this period to explore with all interested parties, hopefully in private, various ways in which we might work out a more sustainable proposition.”