Marcus Ericsson is determined to remain in Formula 1 and says he “didn’t see” the demise of Caterham coming.
The 24-year-old made his Formula 1 debut at the start of this season with Caterham with reports claiming he was bringing in more than €11 million in Swedish sponsorship.
That money, though, was not enough to help Caterham out of its financial difficulties with the team going into administration earlier this month.
“It’s been a difficult week because really, we didn’t see this coming,” he told Sky Sports News HQ in Austin. “We were preparing as normal for the weekend.
“Last week – the day before we went into administration – I spoke to my engineer and we were talking about different set-ups for Friday practice.
“I was preparing as normal and that’s why it’s obviously strange not to be racing.”
The Swede is in Austin this weekend despite being sidelined and some reports suggests he is already made inroads at Sauber.
But whether Caterham finds a way to stay on the grid or he swaps teams, Ericsson is hoping he will continue in Formula 1.
“I think there’s a lot of question marks, but I know we’re working on different things. For us, the goal is to stay in Formula 1 100 per cent, so that’s what we’re going to try and do.”