Ahead of the qualifiers for the Canadian Grand Prix, Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel pipped his rivals and claimed top spot of the final practice session.
Vettel started the session out on soft tyre and when the Scuderia put on the ultra compound the German took no time in putting in the fastest lap of the day with a 1:13.919.
Showing that they have genuine pace this weekend, Red Bull driver Max Verstappen was equally impressive as he claimed second fastest of FP3.
With the rain making a slight cameo, but nothing worth altering a strategy for, Mercedes were couldn’t quite keep up with the front-runners as Ferrari man Kimi Raikkonen split Lewis Hamilton, who finished in P5, and Nico Rosberg, who claimed P3.
Continuing his fine form on Friday, Toro Rosso youngster Carlos Sainz placed in P7, only 0.7s behind Daniel Ricciardo.
Hoping to claim a berth into Q3 for a second time in a row, McLaren-Honda’s double World Champion Fernando Alonso did well to stay within the top ten with his P8 level practice session.
Expected to be a real threat this weekend, Williams duo Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa couldn’t quite get it right today as they both failed to give any of their rivals a scare.
Adding to his incident ridden weekend, Daniil Kvyat almost fell into disaster again today when his car spun out of control just as the rain came falling down, but luckily recovered and got his session underway again.
It seems Renault’s bad luck has come to Montreal after driver Kevin Magnussen slammed into the wall and called for a red flag as the session came to an abrupt halt. Whether his car will be ready or not by the time qualifiers start remains to be answered.
With rain predicted to make an appearance on race day, it will be interesting to see what kind of tyres teams will use during Q2.
1. Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1:13.919 21 laps
2. Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:14.158 +0.239 19 laps
3. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:14.316 0.397 22 laps
4. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1:14.332 0.413 21 laps
5. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:14.334 0.415 19 laps
6. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull Racing 1:14.487 0.568 22 laps
7. Carlos Sainz Jr. Toro Rosso 1:14.655 0.736 21 laps
8. Fernando Alonso McLaren 1:14.801 0.882 19 laps
9. Sergio Perez Force India 1:14.886 0.967 21 laps
10. Felipe Massa Williams 1:14.890 0.971 18 laps
11. Nico Hulkenberg Force India1:14.918 20 laps
12. Valtteri Bottas Williams 1:14.985 20 laps
13. Jenson Button McLaren 1:5.023 17 laps
14. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso 1:15.199 20 laps
15. Esteban Gutierrez Haas F1 Team1:15.444 16 laps
16. Jolyon Palmer Renault F1 Team 1:15.656 19 laps
17. Romain Grosjean Haas F1 Team 1:15.704 14 laps
18. Marcus Ericsson Sauber1:16.078 2.159 24 laps
19. Kevin Magnussen Renault F1 Team 1:16.085 17 laps
20. Felipe Nasr Sauber 1:16.326 24 laps
21. Pascal Wehrlein Manor Racing 1:16.622 18 laps
22. Rio Haryanto Manor Racing 1:16.901 15 laps