Gallery: Back on track, at least for some

Michelle Foster

Tuesday saw the Formula 1 teams return to the Circuit de Catalunya for the second and final test but it wasn’t a great start for Stoffel Vandoorne.

Week two of pre-season testing got underway at the Circuit de Catalunya on Tuesday morning.

Pierre Gasly’s Toro Rosso sporting the aero rakes.

Valtteri Bottas set the early pace as the Mercedes driver picked up where Lewis Hamilton left off on Friday, P1 for Mercedes.

Kevin Magnussen has had a go at Halo, saying the “ugly” device will cause problems in chicanes and also corners such as Eau Rouge.

Red flag as Stoffel Vandoorne’s MCL33 broke down on the side of the track along the start/finish straight.

It was a calm, and somewhat slow, start to the morning for Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel before they began to battle Bottas for the top spot on the timesheet.

Charles Leclerc kept an eye on proceedings as Marcus Ericsson spent the morning in the Sauber.

Sergio Perez brought out the red flags as he spun at Turn 4, kicking up gravel onto the circuit.

After the lunch break, Lewis Hamilton made his way back to the Mercedes garage to take the W09 out for another spin. Not before signing a few autographs…

McLaren’s power problems meant that Vandoorne could only squeeze in one more installation lap before lunch, but was eager to make up for lost time after the break.

Away from the track, Sauber announced that Tatiana Calderon had been promoted to the role of test driver in 2018.

Vandoorne’s road to recovery did not last long, as the MCL33 broke down for a third time, two hours into the afternoon session.

None sooner had the track gone green again, the RB14 came to a stop at Turn 1 – prompting the red flag to wave again.

Haas also ran into a little ERS trouble, with Kevin Magnussen only able to add four laps to his overall total before re-appearing inside the final hour of the session.

Verstappen was able to return to action for a final 15-minute flurry, but the McLaren remained firmly back in the garage.