Although Pierre Gasly feels sorry for Daniil Kvyat, the driver he is replacing for the next two races, he says that is how F1 “works.”
On Tuesday Toro Rosso announced that Gasly would replace Kvyat for a few grands prix as the team evaluates him ahead for a potential full season in 2018.
The announcement means Kvyat has been dropped for the second time in as many years having previously lost his Red Bull seat to Max Verstappen ahead of the 2016 Spanish Grand Prix.
“I haven’t had the chance to talk to Kvyat,” Gasly said in Thursday’s FIA press conference. “Unfortunately that is how this sport works.
“He has been in my position before he came to F1, he was waiting for his chance and then he had to take the seat of someone else.
“Of course I feel sorry for him, he is a really good driver and talented. Unfortunately it is happening that I am going to take his seat.
“I am pretty sure we will see him back on the grid at some point, maybe.”
As for his own future and the possibility of landing an STR drive for 2018, or even keeping the seat for the rest of this season, he replied: “I don’t know what will happen in the next couple of weeks. We will see a bit later.”