Silverstone is owned and operated by the British Racing Drivers Club and opened for racing in 1948 using the runways and service roads of a wartime airfield. The outline is still visible while constant development and massive investment are being done to bring Silverstone’s facilities up to Bernie Ecclestone’s standards.
Revisions to the circuit, enhanced safety precautions, new pits and a redeveloped paddock complex are just part of the ongoing story.
Silverstone hosted the first-ever round of the world championship in 1950 and is one of only two circuits to host a Championship race consistently since then.
And although 2009 was set to be Silverstone’s final year as host of the British GP, the demise of DoningtonPark’s bid ensured that the race returns to the Northamptonshire track in 2010.
Early in 2010, Silverstone announced that the British GP will take place on the new Arena circuit. The use of the ‘Arena’ increased the circuit length by 760 metres and added around four seconds to the lap time.
For 2011, Silverstone, with a new 17-year deal in place, unveiled the new multi-million pound pits and paddock complex that is made up of hospitality suites, a media centre and a new spectator area, 41 garages, the race control building and the podium.
The opening of the ‘Wing’ is just the first phase of Silverstone’s continued redevelo
pment as the BRDC is now focused on providing better facilities for British motorsport fans, such as the building of more permanent grandstands.
Directions: Silverstone is on the A43 in Northamptonshire, 8km (5miles) from Towcester and 9km (5.25miles) from both Brackley and Buckingham. It is easily reached by two motorways – the M1 and the M40. Main line rail services from London and the regions are available at both Milton Keynes and Northampton.
Circuit name: Silverstone Circuit
Circuit Length: 5.901 km
Lap Record: 1:34.908 – F Alonso (2011)