Haas reveals driver shortlist

Date published: August 3 2015

Gene Haas has confirmed that Jean-Eric Vergne, Esteban Gutierrez and Nico Hulkenberg currently top his shortlist to occupy the two race-seats at Haas F1 ahead of the team's debut campaign in 2016.

Haas has spoken of his desire to sign drivers that have F1 experience, and Vergne and Gutierrez – who are Ferrari reserve drivers – and Force India's Hulkenburg all fit that bill. While Vergne and Gutierrez are not currently on the F1 grid, they have previously turned out for Toro Rosso and Sauber respectively.

However, Haas has said that he will not rush into any decisions as he wants to see what changes the other F1 teams make to their line-ups in the coming of months. Once those changes have been confirmed, he will then look to secure his drivers.

When asked directly about Vergne, Gutierrez, and Hulkenberg, Haas admitted that the trio were under consideration. 

"We have a list of drivers in which we are interested in, but in the next few months there will be many moves in the (existing) teams' lineups and we will wait to see who is interested in the project we are developing," has been quoted as saying by GMM. "Two of them are reserve drivers from Ferrari, so they are certainly a possibility.

"As far as the other name that you mention, he is a driver from another team, so the possibility of him driving for us depends of his position with his team."

Haas added that he would cast an eye over all the drivers on the grid, as he searches for a driver that is the right fit.

"Anybody who is driving in a Formula One team right now, certainly, is someone that we would be interested in, if he becomes available," Haas said.