Jaime: RBR went back on their word

Date published: February 7 2012

Jaime Alguersuari claims Red Bull went back on their word and also dismissed Williams as a team who only employs “pay” drivers…

Jaime Alguersuari claims Red Bull went back on their word regarding his Toro Rosso race seat and also dismissed Williams as a team who only employs “pay” drivers.

The 21-year-old Spaniard and former team-mate Sebastien Buemi are without drives for this season after the Faenza-based squad decided to promote Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne.

The axed duo have previously admitted that the decision took them by surprise, and Alguersuari has now taken things a step further by revealing the team “verbally” confirmed him at the final grand prix of the 2011 season.

“When Red Bull Racing told me on December 13th that I would no longer be racing for them, I said that I was not going to judge them. There was no drama and I did not feel like a victim. But let me say just one thing: they hurt me and it was unnecessary,” he said in a Q&A on his website.

He added: “They verbally confirmed me during the Brazilian GP.

“That same weekend I rejected a very good offer after receiving this confirmation from Red Bull and STR.

“Neither I nor anyone else will ever understand why having largely fulfilled all expectations that the team asked for, having improved my position from 2010 and having beaten my team-mate, I was ceased on December 14th when there was no time to search for an option for 2012.”

Alguersuari was linked with a move to HRT after he was dumped by Toro Rosso, but he says he never seriously considered them.

“When I found out about Red Bull’s decision in December I contacted Luis P